Monday, November 15, 2004

Currently Playing
3 Car Garage
By Hanson
- Stories

So I'm definately skipping Teaching Ministry of the Church - but it's okay, because Overstreet is horribly horrible. In the words of Deanna, he looks like Chester Molestor and I don't want to go listen to people read their papers to me (don't worry - my paper isn't due until Wednesday, I'm not skipping that).

Anyway... so yesterday in church we were singing and I started thinking about my Dad and what all he's done. For those who might not know, the summer before last he moved out and moved in with a woman (Berni - what a beautiful name) he met on the internet. He wrote me a letter last fall telling me that he didn't leave my mom for her, and that it was not a romantic relationship, she was just a good friend helping her in a time of need. How stupid does he think I am??

Last week he sent me a card for Thanksgiving. In it he wrote that he wants to get together over Thanksgiving break - to go out to eat Friday night. He said, "Grandma and Grandpa Frees" (his parents) "will be there, and John" (my brother) "said yes. I know this will be hard for you, but Berni will be there too. You need to meet her."

BULL CRAP. I do NOT need to meet her! I know if I don't meet her at this Thanksgiving thing, then when I DO eventually meet her (for example, if he brings her to the extended-family Christmas party) it will be more awkward, but I do NOT have to meet her now.

So for the past few days I've been struggling... do I go? I'd love to see my Grandma and Grandpa, and I wouldn't mind seeing my dad, and if my brother goes, then there's moral support. But I really do NOT want to go! So, during church I decided I was going to write my dad a letter. This is going to be hard. I have never said anything about what he did, at all, to him. This is a list of things I want to mention...

-I haven't said anything because I've been struggling with how to handle this. I am a Christian who believes this is wrong, and I don't want to support his relationship or what he did. I am a Christian who believes this is wrong but I still need to love my dad and have a relationship with him.
-What if it were John? What if he was married for 27 years and walked out and moved in with another woman? Would he (my dad) still say "what ever makes you happy?"
-What if I was married and my husband left me? Would he care?
-One of the things that makes me the most frustrated about the situation, other than obviously how badly he hurt my mom, is that my brother does not have a good male role model to look too. How is he supposed to know how to be a good husband and a good father?
-I would like to go out to eat with him and my grandparents, but I will NOT go if she is going to be there.

What do you guys think? I'll probably write the letter sometime today and post it on here before I send it out.

Why can't it be like my lyric of the day: "Stories will be told From when our children are young Until they’re old About our endless love We must have had a blessing from above." - Stories, Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment