Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Jamaica #9

Wednesday 1-5-05
Last night the toilets backed up and we had a major poo problem! So none of us got to take showers last night (the water is all connected). So when I woke up this morning I had to go to the bathroom REALLY bad and I heard Troy in there so I asked if he knew if the toilets were working and he said yes, so I went, then took a shower. Then when I got out Kristen said we weren't supposed to take showers this morning and that we were going to have a meeting about it. During the meeting Moose said we would split up - one group would stay here and clean up, and they opened another set of toilets also, and the other two groups would go to the church. My group stayed here. It was fun. We (Troy, Pamela, Abby and Libby and I) went to the store to get supplies, then we moved all the suitcases in the bedroom and swept, then swept the bathrooms.



By two o'clock both bedrooms, both bathrooms, and the kitchen had been swept and mopped with bleach water. We also scrubbed all the toilets and flushed them. One toilet had a bunch of tadpoles swimming in it, and the sewage was coming up from the shower drains. After we finished working we went to a store to get stuff for the kids. We got some candy and stuff to make bracelets with - we also made bracelets for ourselves. I wish we had more to give them. I just hope that, even in their young ages, they realize that it is not about their church having a roof, or sunglasses and bracelets, but that they will realize that what matters is the relationships that we form with them.

Quote of the day- "I'm just slipping around in poo.." - Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment