Tuesday, June 21, 2005

What a day... I wasn't sure what time it all started because Audrey borrowed my alarm clock, but I know she was still sleeping and that she wakes up early, so it had to be freakin' early. (Later I found out it was a little before 6 am.) So anyway, I'm lying there awake (down in the basement) and I hear what I SWEAR was a gunshot. I started freaking out. I knew there were people upstairs sleeping and my mind was very irrational - 6 am... I started wondering if someone shot someone else (some apartments across the street are pretty shady) or even if someone shot themselves (not necessarily a housemate, just in general). Then a few minutes later I heard someone pounding on our door and I freaked out even more, this time wondering if we were going to be robbed or something. (I don't like early mornings and strange sounds). Then people start mumbling and someone was running up and down the stairs (from 1st to 2nd not from 1st to basement) and Audrey woke up. I told her I heard a gunshot and had no idea what was going on and I told her she should pray (I already had been). Stacy slept through the whole thing. Then Audrey said she had to get up soon anyway so she went upstairs and came back down and told me and Stacy that the police were here and she thought that a neighor shot a deer and put it in front of Megan's car. That's not really what had happened....

Picture 9 girls (we had 2 guests last night) sitting on the front porch watching this cop stare at a baby deer he had shot, which was lying in front of Megan's car. Apparently a lady who lives near us had gone for a walk and saw this deer lying there and assumed the car next to it hit it and didn't report it (it was not fully dead at the time and she didn't want it to suffer) and so she called the police. So Officer Clementine (do you know him roomie??) came and he shot the deer so it wouldn't suffer. Then he rudely acused Megan of being the one that hit the deer. We were all witnesses to the fact that she had parked her car there at 8:30pm last night and had not moved it since. She was being pretty calm about it but Audrey was getting mad b/c he was being so rude about it and Melissa was just pissed in general. He claimed it had to have been Megan because there was fur and blood on her car.

Megan was drinking a mug of tea and he asked it if was coffee and when we said no he asked if he could have a cup of coffee (I guess he had joked to Audrey asking her what we would do if he asked and she said we would probably make a pot of it) so when he asked, Audrey was right, we made a pot. Finally he came to the conclusion that the blood and fur probably got on her car when he shot it. So he called some guy to come take the deer away.

A random old man shows up in a red pick up (at this point several neighbors are out watching) and with bear hands begins to gut the deer (Audrey took a picture with my digital hahaha) and throw the guts on our lawn (but later puts them in a garbage bag) and then picks the deer up and drains the blood - again in our yard. He throws the deer in his truck and then walks in our house to wash off his hands. Officer Clementine tells us that the firemen will come and wash the blood out of our yard and if they don't show up before noon for us to call.

So this all ended around 7:30 am and I went back to bed at 8 and woke up at 11. This afternoon the firemen still hadn't come so Leslie called and they showed up. One of the neighbors was watching the firemen with a look of "now what?" on his face and I also took pictures of them washing our lawn.

Yet another crazy day at the intern house...

No comments:

Post a Comment