Friday, September 17, 2004

I know this a pretty controversial topic but today in my Parenting class we were talking about spanking. Now, me personally, I think it's okay to spank your kids OCCASIONALLY, and with GOOD REASON, and ABSOLUTELY NOT while you are still very angry... calm down for a while first. I was spanked and I don't hate my parents for it and I am not an agressive person. However, I don't think that I will ever spank my kids. But anyway... we watched a video about these parents who spanked their kids, a lot. They had maybe 5 kids and they would spank them constantly. She slapped her 3 year old daughter like 5 times in a row on the wrist for playing with her food. She did the same thing to her maybe 18-month old for picking her nose. She smacked the butt of her 2 year old for, get this, soiling her TRAINING PANTS. THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE FOR!!!! One of her daughters was maybe 4 or 5 and she pulled her sister's hair and so her mom yanked on her ponytail. And these weren't just a tug of the hair and light slaps, these looked they would hurt me if I were the one being spanked that way, and I'm 21 years old. They justified it by saying that nothing else they've tried (which it didn't seem like they had tried anything else anyway) worked, but obviously the spanking wasn't working anyway. IT PISSES ME OFF that there are parents out there like that. I wanted to jump into the overhead screen, take those kids and bring them home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment