Tuesday, July 27, 2010

a lesson from the bachelorette

now. i feel like i need to start this blog out by defending myself: i am not a regular bachelorette watcher. a couple weeks ago, laura, our downstairs neighbor came up to our apartment to watch the show, since she no longer has a tv. and as a result, my roommates and i decided we had to watch the last few weeks of it. so. there's that.

anyway. moving on.

last night they showed a clip of her talking to one of the guys she kicked off and she said something that struck me as being not quite right. though, given the world we live in i can totally see why she said this. the guy asked her, “when it’s all said and done, what do you want from life?” and her response was “i want a family that will fill me with unconditional love.”

first of all… your family will not unconditionally love you. they can try and maybe you’ll be lucky and you will have a family who will love you as well as any human can love in a fallen world, but it won’t be purely unconditional. only god can love like that. which brings me to my next point.

we should only expect unconditional love from god, because only he can provide it. and we should be so full of his unconditional love that it pours out of our life into the lives of those we call family (and friends. and neighbors. and enemies.)

so instead of wanting a family who unconditional loves us, we should allow ourselves to receive the unconditional love that god offers, and out of that love we love others.

does this make sense? do you agree? disagree? thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. makes me think of this: http://unhappyhipsters.com/post/617758740/no-one-told-her-motherhood-would-be-equal-parts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your blogs it gives me insight to your thought process. Some things are easier read than said outloud. I can see where you may think that only God can love us unconditonally. I know as humans we can love deeply but surely we can not love one another as much as God loves us. However, as humans I think we can experience unconditional love. As your Mom there is nothing you could do that would make me stop loving you. I could get angry, humiliated, mortified by some action that could possibly take place but I will would never stop loving you or John. The same is with your Dad. I've never been hurt like he hurt me, he did things I would never dream he would do. He has hurt you and John beyond anything I would ever know, but I still love him. In 1st Corinithians 13 v 7 says "love bares all things, believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things. V8 says Love never fails. I believe that true love never fails, infatuation soon fades but that is not love. Therefore I think you can experience unconditional love from people in your life.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete